Sourabh Moharil, Chief Technology Officer
Rounding processes offer many benefits, from increasing patient safety and patient satisfaction scores, to improving Life Safety and Environment of Care Rounds. However, managers often overlook the importance of data gathered by the solution during a round and how it can help improve the long-term outlook of a hospital or healthcare network.
A truly robust rounding solution encompasses Business Intelligence capability, which includes standard reports and dashboards with user-friendly widgets to visualize data, as well as the ability to create ad-hoc reports or custom analytics artifacts tailor-made to your organization. Standard Reports are great for organizations to develop benchmarks for performance and compliance measurements. Moving to Dashboard reporting allows for easy data viewing, real-time compliance and performance results, and allows managers and operational leaders to make better, more informed decisions in a proactive manner. And, with custom reporting or custom analytics an organization can develop a set of specific reports or data extracts designed to conform to the needs and workflows of that organization as it relates to safety, quality, and patient experience.
How can you use the data gathered during rounds?
- Benchmarking & Correlation: Hospitals and healthcare organization can categorize their data making it easy to benchmark data against industry standards and analyze internal data for trends and outliers.
- Adapt Policies and Procedures: By reviewing and analyzing the data gathered during rounds a hospital can not only make changes to current policies and procedures but also implement new policies.
- Streamline Processes: Reports can help organizations identify recurring deficiencies to help determine areas where processes can be improved as well as streamlined.
- Recognize Positive Behavior: Analytics can track goals and measure performance against these goals so that organizations can recognize teams or individuals performing at a high level. Positive reinforcement encourages future positive behavior as well as keeping employee satisfaction levels high.
- Create a Safer Environment: Review data to ensure your organization is meeting industry standards and meeting required compliance levels to ensure a safer environment. In addition, when deficient areas are identified, corrective action can take place to ensure proper safety protocols are put in place.
Powerful analytics capture during Rounds can help you create action, which will lead to:
- Improved HCAHPS
- Improved regulatory compliance
- An enhanced environment of care
- Improved communication among team members, hospital leaders, and families
But remember, your reports are only as good as the data collected so be sure you promote data standardization within your team using drop-downs and other tools provided by top vendors.