Christopher Dube, Chief Operating Officer
Rounding is just one of the many tasks healthcare professions are required to complete regularly. With many demands on time it is important to have all process be as efficient as possible. Is your rounding process as efficient as it should be? Use these 5 steps to optimize your rounding process:
- Develop Content: Creating rounds that target improvement areas to maximize your rounding efforts take time. Having access to a content library that contains standardized templates and questions across disciplines that are connected to regulatory standards and best practices can make this process easy. Using a solution that provides a library of templates and questions to get started helps save tremendous resources.
- Implement a Methodology: Consistency is key. To create consistency, establish a schedule. Schedules promote consistency, establish accountability, and ensure rounds are tracked through to completion. Using an automated tool will assist in this process. Automating the distribution and tracking of rounds can save up to 15% of an employee’s time.
- Perform Surveys: Select the method of collection that works best for your organization; keeping in mind that real-time data capture yields the best results. Using tablets and other mobile devices for real-time rounding allows for more accurate data collection.
- Create Action; Close the Loop: Identifying issues during a round is an important part of the process. Resolving these issues quickly and efficiently is key. It can be challenging to track issues/deficiencies via text, phone or shoulder taps as these often get overlooked. Creating action and ensuring a closed loop process through an automated solution not only ensure deficiencies are assigned appropriately and corrected efficiently, but also establishes a culture of continuous process improvement.
- Measure Performance: Gathering data is important but it is what is done with that data that really drives change. With the proper tools to analyze data, managers can determine program effectiveness, identify departments where corrective action is needed, adapt content and schedules as required, and target troubled areas.
Optimizing your rounding process can be completed using a manual process. However, it is much more efficient and accurate to use a comprehensive rounding solution that supports your process from creation through measurement.